In the 1930′s a Northwestern grad student in the psychology department, E.F. “Al” Wonderlic, invented the test that came to be known as the Wonderlic.
Each year, nearly 3 million job applicants in every line of work take the Wonderlic.
NFL combine athletes must take it as well.
The Wonderlic is a timed IQ test, consisting of 50 questions, ranging form easy, to hard, and must be completed in 12 minutes.
Each question equals one point.
Well, the average scores in some professions look like this:
Bank teller: 22
Security Guard: 17
The average NFL combiner scores a 21.
Former Bengals punter and Harvard grad Pat McInally scored a perfect 50 — the only NFL player known to do so.
What’s a sample question look like? According to ESPN’s Closer Look online articles, here are five:
1. Assume the first two statements are true. Is the final one:
1. true, 2. false, 3. not certain?
The boy plays baseball. All baseball players wear hats. The boy wears a hat.
2. Paper sells for 21 cents per pad. What will four pads cost?
3. The hours of daylight and darkness in SEPTEMBER are nearest equal to the hours of daylight and darkness in:
1.June, 2. March, 3. May, 4. November.
4. A boy is 17 years old and his sister is twice as old. When the boy is 23 years old, what will be the age of his sister?
5. RESENT RESERVE • Do these words
1. have similar meanings, 2. have contradictory meanings, 3. mean neither the same nor opposite?
A well-rounded athlete isn’t simply about how many 225-lb bench presses can be performed, or the speed of one’s 40, but also …
the fast wit of one’s mind.
(I know a great place where you can increase your mental skills… yup, www.mentalstrength.com, of course)
By the way, in case you want the official answers to the above, they are: 1. true, 2. 84 cents, 3. March, 4. 40 years old, 5. mean neither the same nor opposite.
For more information, visit: ESPN Closer Look:
MentalStrength.com has served over 10,000 highly productive people, including business owners, athletes and coaches since 1999. A cutting edge interactive website, packed with discussion boards, valuable downloads, books, resources and rich multi-media tools, MentalStrength.com helps its members maintain a great attitude, network with other productive people and obtain life-long mental strength. You can also get MentalStrength.com updates by following us on Twitter @MindStrength.